Thursday, May 25, 2023

Nice: There's more than beaches here

On my second day in Nice, I enjoyed a variety of activities,  which included sitting by the sea to watch the waves and hear the music they created when splashing onto the small rocks that comprise the beach. But that came after many other excursions.

First, I explored the residential district where my apartment is located, the Riquier. It's a good trek to the beach from there, but has easy tram access to most areas of Nice that I want or need to go to. The apartment was a reasonable expense for Nice, with a kitchen and washing machine, plus a balcony that overlooks a large park.

The view from my balcony.

It's comfy,  cozy and secure. There are many boulangeries nearby, and I stopped in one for a fresh croissant, then stepped in a cafe for an espresso, each purchase costing only 1,20 euros. A mere two blocks away is a small train station, which means I won't have to trek across town to use the main train hub. Even better, just across the street there are several useful bus stops, including one that will take me east to towns like Eze and Villefranche, where there are seaside walking trails I plan to tackle. These are wonderful conveniences that I hadn't been aware of when choosing the apartment.

Two blocks in another direction there's a "commercial center" or indoor mall, which includes a vast Carrefour grocery store, where everyone in the district seems to shop. To check out, you stand in a queue until a woman employee directs you to the first available checkout stand. I was surprised to come across a sign advising that during three different times of day the store has "silent hours", when sounds and lights are lowered to accommodate their neurodivergent customers. It's hard to imagine the same thing in the local grocery stores back home.

Shhh!
I bought supplies to make several lunches and dinners,  one of the ways I keep costs low on my travels. I took a break for lunch at the apartment, and it's lucky I did, as there was a brief rainstorm for an hour near noon. By 3 pm the sun was shining again, and I continued exploring. I headed toward a nearby park where I'd seen men playing petanque the day before. In this game, players throw small, heavy balls (boules) towards a target ball. Today there were 5 or 6 different teams of retired-age men playing, while other groups of men played cards at tables in the shade. It seemed to be a park that only men used (though I spied two women amongst the sea of men),  and where signs declared that dogs were prohibited.

Playing petanque in the park.
After that, I headed toward Vieux Nice, the quaint old town center where everyone goes to shop and eat. I'd been there nine years ago at night, when it seemed quite magical, but today it just seemed careworn, crowded with tourists looking for bargains in the many shops along the small, twisting streets. I stopped to buy a glace (gelato), of rose and lavender, at Fenocchio, known for their unusual and homemade flavors. Truly a taste treat! Next I wandered over to Jardin Albert 1er, a park that features a charming carousel and structures made from bamboo and rattan. Next week, the park will host a Book Festival on its grounds. 



Across the street lies the Promenade des Anglais, where everyone goes to hang out, to see and be seen, to walk, sit or stand and watch the sea. It runs from the airport west for 7 km.

Promenade des Anglais
I spent several hours there, soaking up the sun, enjoying the afternoon. At 7 pm, with 16000 steps completed, I caught the tram back to Riquier and my apartment. It was a rich and satisfying day.


No comments: