Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Room with a View

Actually, I’ve found a studio apartment with a view…from a terrace! After several weeks of viewing rooms and apartments from the options available on Craigslist, I decided to go with an agency to find the right place. And I’ve found a charming little place to live next fall during my stay in Firenze (Florence, Italy).

Since I will need to work while I’m there, I had some prerequisites that are non-negotiable: I needed a place with a fast internet connection, somewhat quiet, where it would be safe to leave my computer and belongings when I travel to other cities for a few days. I also had a certain area of town I wanted to live, near Santa Croce and the Sant’Ambrogio open market.

First I looked at single rooms in multi-person lodgings, but the apartments offered several rooms, a fully equipped kitchen, a washing machine and more. Once I came across the studio apartment with the terrace, I had trouble imagining myself anywhere else. When I contacted the agency, I received quick and thorough responses to my questions. I found the cost a bit daunting, as it includes not only a booking fee, but also a security deposit and a hefty monthly rent. If all goes well with my work while I’m there, it should be no problem managing the expense. If not, I can just squeak by with my savings, though I may have to limit other expenditures during my stay. I’m willing to take the risk.

In addition to being near Santa Croce and the open market, the apartment is equidistant from other favorite places: the Duomo, and Piazza D’Azeglio, where there is a large park I love to hang out in. I can easily walk to any of these places within 5 –10 minutes. In any case, I’ve booked the apartment, and can start to imagine being there: waking up to a view of the city of Firenze from my terrace; walking to the open market for fresh produce each day; sharing a glass of wine with friends from the terrace in the evenings. I feel quite certain it will be worth the expense!

awaiting company!

No comments: